Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Gate Manners

Amanda is a genius at getting one dog out through the gate, while the other ones stay still. When I attempt it, they all try and shove through at once so I've been working quite hard at improving the dogs' "gate manners". I'll often open the gate and then quickly close it if they start to try and leave without me telling them they can. After a few repetitions they will all stand nicely and wait. Then the trick is to call the dog out that you want without everyone else breaking their stay. I'm still working on this part! But one of the other benefits I've noticed of the good gate manners is that the dogs get this very cute, expectant look on their face. So the other day I grabbed the camera and took a picture of Kalo while he was waiting patiently at the gate. And amazingly enough, no one escaped while I was taking the picture.

No comments: